Saturday, March 15, 2014

Birthdays

Michael and I recently turned 33. Is 33 too young to be too old for birthdays? I don't have any animosity towards my birthdays, but I seriously don't want to put any effort into them at this point. But Michael's birthday is close and his mama loves us both so she gathered everyone together for a celebration. It was great to be with everyone, and I didn't have to do any active gathering. :)

First of all, Aunt Mel was gracious enough to bring her scissors to a party on her day off and trim all the kids' hair. Mary has been asking for bangs for months and months, so Aunt Mel complied. It is completely crazy how different Mary looks! (Yes, I already posted this picture, but you should look again. Several neighbors and friends did not recognize her this week. I don't blame them - I barely recognized her when she first walked in the door from her haircut, but she is pleased as pleased can be and I'm used to it now. I've just seen enough pictures of me at that age to feel like I've been transported back to rural Pennsylvania every time I look at her.)


As you can see it was a lovely day so we spent much of the afternoon outside. Michael and Gussie took turns mowing the entire neighborhood, with Kali standing by to fill up the tank now and then.



I have no idea what Gigi was talking about, but Mary looks pleased with the conversation. That probably indicates it was about her bangs.


I just like that all the kids are up to something in this picture.


Gussie was trying to hit soccer balls and basketballs off the tee, so Daddy stepped in to offer some assistance.


The kids mostly played, and the adults mostly watched, bemused.



Gussie got to be a monkey like Michael with a little boost from Daddy.


Kali's ride home - I love it.


Grandma Kim made us our favorite Tiramisu but I have no pictures of it because I was singularly focused on enjoying it. Michael is thoroughly impressed with the espresso grind from his new burr grinder and enjoying his new books (with espresso at his fingertips). I immediately made a pot of the Celeriac Veloute soup from this blog post with my new stick blender as the motor in my old one finally succumbed to a life of heavy labor. {Side note: If I could take photographs like on that blog I would consider my photography journey utterly and satisfactorily complete.}Then I made cannoli cupcakes (pistachio cake topped with ricotta vanilla buttercream icing, mini chocolate chips, and roasted pistachios) from my new cupcake book. I would be happy with that book even if the only recipe in it was the French buttercream.

And Michael and I got to enjoy coffee and then an adult dinner at Sydney Street Cafe while Grandma and Grandpa entertained all the kids. We feasted on lobster turnovers and hot bread with garlic honey butter and gumbo and smoked duck roasted lamb and Apples (yes, the dessert was called "Apples").

Ok, so all in all this birthday was pretty magical. Thank you, everyone!

No comments: