Saturday, February 21, 2015

Lemon Bridges

Gussie has about a hundred favorite games right now. Actually, I think all games are his favorite games, and everyone in the house is powerless against his relentless pursuit of people to play with. I'll be working in the kitchen, and he'll come down with a huge grin on his face and say, "Mom! I carried this book down the stairs all by mySELF! I did! I'm bigger to do it! I bringed it down for YOU! You read it to me on the couch." Then he trots off to the couch without waiting for an answer. What choice do I have?

The same happens with boxes of cars, and puzzles, and play worker man tools, and wrestling time... he's so happy and excited about the prospect of playing with you that there's no real way to say no. And if you try to put him off for a moment, just to take your last sip of tea or finish that last sentence and click the "send" button on your email, he plays the classic toddler card, asking literally every 2 seconds, "Now can you play with me? Now can you play with me? Now can you play with me? NOW can you play with me?" Resistance is futile.

But right now one of his favorite favorites is London Bridge is Falling Down. He never - Never - tires of capturing people at the end. I'm pretty sure the word "London" means nothing in his brain, so he connected it as "Lemon" and now Lemon Bridges is one of the most oft played games in the house. Here's a little discourse about Lemon Bridges. [Apologies about how he is obnoxiously eating a calzone in this video; most of his best conversations occur at the dinner table.]

 

A coordinating favorite is Ring Around the Rosy, because who doesn't like falling down? Actually, Gussie informed me that bad mans don't like falling down, but it's ok because Daddy doesn't hate falling down, because he's not bad, he's just right to play falling down. Good to know.

 


1 comment:

St. Thomas said...

I miss Augustine! Daddy is just right to play falling down!