I know, I basically skipped all of June on the blog. I promise, I'll catch up at some point, but I know Catherine will be happy if I get these pictures out right away!
A couple months ago Catherine asked me if I thought she could run a race, and I answered the obvious: of course. After a few little runs I asked her if she really wanted me to register her for a race, and she said yes, but she wanted Daddy to run it with her. She still wanted me to run all the training runs with her, but Daddy to run the actual race. I think she was worried I would slow her down.
Unfortunately I got an email the day before the race that said they had to cut the route short due to some problems with the trail close to the initial turnaround point, so it was no longer going to be a 5k, but instead 2 miles. Still, they were already registered so we got up early and navigated our way downtown amidt a ridiculous number of street closures for both a parade and another 5k starting by the stadium that morning. But we made it in plenty of time for the start.
They're off!
The race started and ended at the base of the Arch and ran along the river trail. It turned out to be a beautiful and cool race morning, and even though we could only see the runners at the start and finish line, we had plenty to watch while we waited: trains, barges, tug boats, and a big furry dog. Before we knew it, racers were coming back in.
Headed to the finish line under the arch! Daddy looks like he's doing ok in spite of his lack of training.
Catherine finished the 2 miles in just under 18 minutes, which put her in first place for her 10-and-under age group. Plus her time pulled Daddy into 3rd in his age group! (It wasn't a very big race.)
Catherine didn't like that this picture was pulled back to have the Arch in the background, so we had to get a medal picture closer up so she had a good picture of their faces. And Daddy's biker's tan.
Catherine had fun but decided she wants to train some more and run another race since she didn't get to actually complete a 5k. So... who's going to run with her in the Fall?




No comments:
Post a Comment