September had a lot of lovely weather and we took advantage with a bunch of fun hikes with Dema and Grampy T.
I really can't remember where these pictures are from. I started to type "Salt Lick Trail" because I'm pretty sure it's Illinois and I know we did go to that trail, but I'm also pretty sure I have pictures of the caves from that hike and there are no such pictures here. Maybe it was in/near Pere Marquette? I don't know. But there was clearly a hill to climb because we enjoyed a nice view at the top. Grampy is pointing out some groups of migrating pelicans we could just barely make out on the far shore, and after watching a bit we also saw several rotating cylinders of pelicans flying circles.
After the big hike up the hill Agnes needed a break. Long hikes are pretty much the only time she will ride on my back.
The trail system offered a few ways back down so we took a more meandering trail that offered some nice climbing rocks.
While we were eating a picnic lunch at the trailhead back at the bottom, a bat swooped over us and roosted in a nearby tree. We were all really excited that it stopped and we could watch it for a few minutes, but also I didn't let the kids get too close because bats in the middle of the day seems odd. After reading a few "bats of Missouri" articles I think it was an Eastern Red Bat; it's the right color and they hang out in large deciduous trees. Not a great picture but the kids will be happy to tell you all about it.
Aah! These pictures have jogged my memory. I'm almost sure now it was Pere Marquette or near it. Catherine wanted to stop for ice cream on the way home and we had seen an ice cream shop in the little town just before the park. However on our way to the park we had accidentally ended up in the middle of a yuge Trump parade (cars and trucks on the river road with a long line of boats running parallel on the river) and by the time we were headed home a good number of them had ended the parade in that little town and we didn't think getting in and out with ice cream would be a short endeavor. So I called ahead to Ices and placed an order for pickup (they were still closed inside) and we stopped by to grab our ice cream and headed to Tower Grove to enjoy it in the park. Somehow the kids still had energy for games with Grampy's hat and goofy selfies. Must have been the ice cream.













No comments:
Post a Comment