Thursday, January 03, 2013

The Balance Bike

For Christmas we got the kids a balance bike.

Yes, one bike for three kids. Sharing is serious business in our house (and balance bikes are surprisingly expensive). 

Christmas being in December, the kids have been (taking turns) riding the balance bike around the house. But today had a short sunny and warmish spell in the afternoon that happened to coincide with a long nap for Gussie, so I took the kids and the balance bike out on the sidewalk. Catherine has been gaining so much confidence on the balance bike that when I offered to take the training wheels off her bike and lower the seat a touch "so it would be like a big balance bike", she agreed. Then I told her I'd be happy to hold her steady so she could practice pedaling, which she thought was fun. After about 15 minutes of jogging for me, I told her my hand was on the bike but I really wasn't doing anything - she was really doing it by herself - and she agreed that I could let go. And just like that, we have our first balance bike graduate! Of course we had to bring Daddy out to watch and video.




Given the way Mary is "gliding" up and down the sidewalk, I don't think she'll be far behind.

This is Catherine's song of the afternoon (sung to the tune of We Wish You A Merry Christmas):

I'm so happy I can ride a bike,
So happy I can ride a bike,
So happy I can ride a bike
With no training wheels too!

3 comments:

Jena said...

Awesome!!! Great job Catherine and Mary!

Carrie said...

That's amazing! Hooray, Catherine!

KAR said...

Yay!!! Fantastic job!!!