Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas Eve and Day

We usually spend Christmas Eve at my mom and dad's with my sisters, but since Dema and Grampy T are in St. Augustine (or thereabouts), and Kristin and Brian were visiting his parents in Indy, we decided to join the Christmas Eve celebration at Mamo's. We started the morning decorating the house and Christmas tree. Mary decided that she had to be a blue nun for Christmas decorating.


Apparently headdresses are contagious in our house.


The kids are old enough this year that they didn't really want any help with the tree. I pointed them to the ornament boxes and they went for it.

This worked out well because Gussie was napping at the time. And they did a good job - the tree looks great (even after a couple days of Gussie making adjustments to the ornament placement).


Peek a boo, Gus! I see you sneaking in to get those ornaments.


After a chill day of decorating we went to Mamo's for food and presents. 

Gussie loves all Christmas trees.


Michael Jr loves all presents.


Hi Mamo! Gussie also loves all cell phones. And Uncle Chris.


Gussie had a pretty good time opening presents, although it took him a while to get into it.


Olivia helped Grandma.


And Uncle Chris helped Gussie (or maybe the other way around - I'm not entirely sure).


Hi Aunt Heather!


A few months ago, I conspired with Mamo to get a big set of Tegu blocks for all the kids while they were on sale. We have been having Tegu block building marathons since they opened them on Christmas Eve.


Christmas morning was just our little family of six. Would you like to see how it went? Sorry, I didn't take a single picture. I know, terrible! But I was having too much fun watching the kids - I totally forgot. Staying true to our trend for the last few years, we didn't buy the kids any presents. Christmas morning was all presents that they made for each other. Catherine started some sewing and made embroidered bags for Mary and Michael Jr; she drew the designs to embroider and everything. She also made a pipe cleaner necklace for Mary's teddy bear. Mary was so happy about her gifts that she couldn't even say thank you; she circled around Catherine with her chin tucked in shyly and her eyes wide and finally managed to accept a hug. I love her.

Mary sewed and embroidered a fabric road for Michael Jr to drive his cars on, and crafted a neat pipe cleaner crown for Catherine. The girls also made a batch of real food instant hot cocoa for Daddy. 

Gussie didn't have anything wrapped under the tree, and he didn't care a bit. He just spun around the room with wrapping paper.

The kids all wore their special Christmas outfits to Mass and loved singing all the Christmas hymns. Gussie and Michael Jr nearly managed to drown out all the other singing with enthusiastic (but nonsensical) lyrics.

Then it was off to Grandma's house for Christmas dinner. Again, almost no pictures, but I did get this one of our family twins (separated by a few decades).


So far, it has been a lovely Christmas. For the third day of Christmas today, we're headed off to bowling at church, and we have several more Christmas celebrations and eight more days of activities to go (and I promise, I'll try to do better with pictures!).

No comments: