Monday, September 17, 2007

Heaven Help Us


I am only slightly joking when I invoke all of heaven here - Father, Son and Holy Ghost, and the entire host of saints and angels - we're going to need them all if Catherine is going to make it to her first birthday without causing herself some serious bodily harm. It looks like my last post was Friday, so since then Catherine has started consistently crawling (when she sees something worth crawling to), pulling herself up on whatever she can find, and cruising around (for those of you [uncles] not up to speed on your parenting lingo "cruising" is the official term for a baby/toddler walking around holding on to furniture before she can walk on her own). The first thing Catherine did when I put her on the floor at church was crawl over to an extension cord and try to put it in her mouth. Then she pulled herself up using a chair and walked right down the line; at the end she tried to go from her row to the one behind, but she couldn't quite reach the new chair while keeping her fingertips on hers, and after some deliberation she wisely decided against letting go completely (so maybe all we really need is a specially appointed angelic detail for safety, and the rest of heaven can continue on). Here's a video of her crawling, complete with a head-bonk at the end (despite my best efforts, many of her activities end with a head-bonk):


Other than chasing Catherine around the house our weekend was pretty quiet. It rained a ton on Saturday so we didn't do much, and Sunday it got pretty cold and has stayed that way (we had to let our heat turn on last night). Don't worry Grandparents - I think it's supposed to warm up back into the 70s by the time you get here at the end of the week.

Today Catherine was very whiny and clingy. I think her upper two teeth are very close to poking through her gums, because she acted this same way the day or two before her lower teeth came in. However if her gums are in any pain it is not keeping her from eating everything she can get her hands on. She generally has three real food meals a day in addition to nursing. She loves eating tiny little bites of any fruit I eat (she tried and enjoyed mango today for the first time) and she's started gumming down pieces of cheerios. Now she also eats mixed foods in the jar (like cinnamon-raisin-granola mush) instead of just single-ingredient foods. We have not yet ventured into the realm of the mushed full-meal-in-a-jar, like "turkey dinner with vegetables" or "lamb and potato stew" - it just looks a little too gross, and I figure Catherine can start eating meat when she has the teeth to chew it herself.

Despite a fairly cranky day, Catherine did have a good morning like always - here's a little clip of our morning conversation (sneezes are a bonus):


And a few more pictures:



3 comments:

St. Thomas said...

That top picture looks really good, the colors are awesome.

I honestly can't believe she's crawling...

She's so big, I'm pretty sure she is like 3 years old already.

Anonymous said...

i bet her wrists and knees are going to be sore with all the crawling she's going to be doing. She's growing up too fast. Put a brick on her head.

Amber said...

That top picture was taken outside just about an hour before the sun went down so there's a nice sunset glow causing the rich colors. Unfortunately due to the neighbor's fence the top of the stairs was the only place we could catch the sunlight, and I could barely keep her from diving off the stairs let alone sit still, so after about 30 shots that is the only good one!