Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Swamp Things

We took the girls for a "hike" at a marsh/swamp preserve out in Eastham last week. I guess a swamp doesn't sound that nice, but it's really beautiful (as long as it is not green-head fly season) and it has boardwalk paths winding through the swamp.

If you are ever unsure about how to entertain a toddler, take her somewhere with a path to follow.

We headed up this little hill from the car. Every time Mary stepped over one of the steps she would give a loud grunt and then laugh.


Then we walked on the swamp/marsh boardwalk. Backpacks absolutely necessary (but I think they were empty).


They would stop to look at the water...


It looked like this:


Then we would keep walking on the path. Mary had to trot almost the whole time to keep up with Catherine. I think she burned about 4000 Calories. Except when she got too tired and I had to carry her. I think I also burned about 4000 Calories just strolling.


At the end of the swamp path there is a nice view of the marsh and the ocean in the distance.


The girls were much more interested in throwing leaves to a very small worm they found in a puddle in a rock.

Then we headed down a different path...


And back to the car.



Aren't you glad I was walking at the end the whole time and you got all those lovely pictures of everyone's backs? I'm always doing my best for you. : )

1 comment:

The Moose said...

You do a fantastic job...all while pregnant too. Thanks!