Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Humpty Dumpty

Both Catherine and Mary were early walkers and had their share of falls, bumps and bruises (if you look very closely Catherine has a small scar on her lower lip from falling on her face and pushing a tooth through her lip when she was about a year old, and Mary's climbing phase left her with a string of bruises and baseballs growing out of her forehead for weeks). However watching Michael Jr clamber around makes those episodes look docile. He no sooner figured out how to sit up and crawl than he decided he should also be climbing and standing. In the last few days he has used a toy box, the bath tub, a chair, and the coffee table to pull himself up to standing. The coffee table is his worst idea because once he is standing he likes to pound on it like a drum, which means letting go with both hands (because you have to drum with both hands) which means he immediately falls over, usually hitting his face on the edge of the table on the way down. Someone send a helmet - he is headed for a great fall.

It also took him about four seconds to figure out how to climb into the mini-recliners.

Step one


And done.


I would try to have a talk with him about how he's only six months old and it wouldn't be a bad idea for him to give his little noggin a little more time for bump-free development, but as you can tell from the look on his face, his namesake must have already explained to him the cardinal rule of boyhood: never listen to your mom when she's talking matters of safety.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Another variation of that cardinal rule of boyhood (from my helpful 12-year-old nephew): boys are supposed to do stupid stuff and get hurt.
It's crazy to compare Michael to Caleb - Caleb just figured out how to climb into his mini-armchair at 15 months! I think Michael is definitely gifted in a very, very dangerous way! :)

Amber said...

Would I be a bad mom if I tried to develop him into a scrawny intellectual instead? Probably. I guess I'll just assign Catherine the job of "bodyguard" for the time being.