Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Update on the Injured

It's been a week now since Michael twisted his foot, and this morning he still would not put any weight on it so I took him to the urgent care center (I still have not decided on a pediatrician for us). Michael laughed at the doctor and offered him a high-five as soon as he walked in. His happy mood, lack of any visible signs of injury (still no swelling or bruising), and complete lack of any pain reaction to pressure anywhere on his left leg made the doctor pretty doubtful that we were dealing with much of anything.

So I put Michael down on the floor to show how he would sooner sit down than risk putting any weight on his left foot, and he of course stood up with no problem, on two feet. I assured the doctor that he hadn't done that, and especially hadn't taken any steps, in a whole week, and I took Michael's hands and led him forward knowing he would bail out and sit down rather than take a step on his left foot, and the little stinker took five or six steps. However they were clearly limping steps, and Michael wasn't interested in walking beyond that. The doctor said if he had a hairline fracture it would be about a week after the injury that he would begin walking on it again, so we did x-rays and... Nothing. No sign of any past, recent, or current fractures from his toes to his hip. So no clarity on what's actually hurting him, but we do know that Micahel Jr now officialy has "x-ray machines" and "x-ray technicians" on the top of his list of enemies.

As long as he continues making progress we just have to assume a pull/strain/sprain/twist of some sort and let it continue to heal. However I do have the name and number of a pediatric orthopedist in my pocket who will get us in for an appointment and take a second look at the x-rays if Michael doesn't seem to keep getting better at his current rate.

So he's mostly fine and getting better, and during this time of physical confinement, Michael has even picked up a word (if you consider "uh-oh" a word). Plus he started blowing kisses, which is the cutest thing ever, and he thinks it's really funny to do everything except what you ask him to do when the camera is on, for instance, blowing kisses when you want him to say uh-oh.

1 comment:

KAR said...

I'm happy. I'll be happier when he starts walking again! Love the kisses!